Please be advised that due to technical issues any surrender forms submitted after the 1st of August have not been seen. Please forward your confirmation email (ticket) to firstname.lastname@example.org or resubmit your application with your confirmation number.
Is your animal friend driving you up the wall? Chewing/scratching the furniture? Urinating in the house? Barking or meowing all night?
Before considering the more drastic option of rehoming your pet, call RSPCA ACT for some friendly advice on 02 6287 8100.
We can talk to you about options to help you and your pet live a more harmonious life together.
At RSPCA ACT, we understand that from time to time it may be necessary to surrender your pet for rehoming. As we are a small shelter and cater for many types of animals (strays, surrenders, and inspector seized) we do not always have the available space for your pet.
We ask that people looking to rehome their pet place their name on our waiting list. Having this list allows us to ensure that no pet is forgotten. When space becomes free and you have reached the top of the list, we will notify you to bring in your pet. Please be aware that from time to time the waiting period may be 4-6 weeks long.
Once you arrive at the shelter a staff member will sit with you and together create a profile for your pet. A shelter can be a stressful environment for an animal to come to and the behaviour of your pet may change. This profile allows us to get an idea of your pet’s behaviour in a home environment.
We ask for a surrender fee to help with the feeding, boarding and any medical treatment that your pet may need. Please bring any belongings that you wish to send off with your pet and they will be passed onto the new owners.
For more information about the possible outcomes after surrendering your pet, please contact us for further information.
- If you are encountering behavioural or medical issues with your pet, we recommend making an appointment with your chosen vet or behaviourist to discuss options prior to submitting an Animal Surrender Application.
- If you have exhausted all other rehoming options, fill in an Animal Surrender Application Form for each animal you wish to surrender.
- Please be aware the RSPCA ACT is limited in servicing the ACT region only and ACT animals take priority over any animals from NSW. We encourage NSW residents to use NSW animal services where ever possible.
- There is a waiting list for all surrenders. The wait time may be between four to eight weeks.
- Once we have received your Animal Surrender Application, you will receive a confirmation email from our staff with additional information.
- When a space is free a member of staff will contact you to arrange a date and time for you to bring the animal/s to the shelter.
- All known medical or behavioural issues must be stated before surrender.
- There is a surrender fee for each animal. This fee helps to cover the cost of a vet check on arrival, and the first few days of care.
* Please note that we are currently not accepting Roosters