RSPCA ACT Shelter Education Visits are a fantastic opportunity for various corporates, schools, community and social groups to visit our shelter animals. All visits are accompanied by an RSPCA ACT staff member to ensure safety and to answer any questions that your group may have.
Shelter Education Visits are focused around developing a connection with animals. This can assist in developing empathy and trusting relationships as well as improving overall mental wellbeing. Visits are tailored to your specific group, however generally include a behind the scenes tour of our shelter, a chat about how we care for animals and the opportunity to make enrichment items for the animals in our care. These can be anything from rabbit digging boxes to scent enrichment for dogs, or worm scratch plates for chickens!
Shelter Education visits are intended for groups of 5 – 20 (including carers/teachers). Smaller or larger groups may be able to be catered for by request only; please contact us to discuss.
Please note that a quote will be produced upon application. As a not for profit, a service fee covers staff time in preparing and facilitating your visit, along with any resources needed. To find out more please email us at email@example.com. Booking requests can be made using the form below – please note that this is a request only and will be confirmed within 5 working days.
Please be aware that we do not guarantee animal interaction on Shelter Education Visits. As a working shelter we often have animals who may be timid, recovering from injury or under large amounts of stress; these animals are just not ready to be visited by a large group. ACT staff can contact you the week of your booking to let you know what animals and what level of interaction you might expect for your tour.
Terms, Conditions and Cancellations
- As much of our shelter is outdoors, our Community Visits are dependent on weather conditions. An RSPCA staff member will be in touch if your visit needs to be rescheduled due to weather.
- Participants will be required to follow our Code of Conduct for Shelter Visits whilst on shelter premises. RSPCA ACT reserved the right to terminate a tour if participant behaviour is inappropriate or dangerous to our animals.
- Our cancellation policy is as follows:
- Whole group cancellations made within 48 hours of the visit time will be refunded in full, or transferred to a different date
- Whole group cancellations made within 24 hours of the visit will be refunded the amount paid minus a $10 admin fee. A Transfer of the booking may be provided at the discretion of the program coordinator.
- Whole group no shows will not be refunded or transferred
- In the case of any individual participants being absent on the day, a full refund of the per person rate ($8) will be provided. This is limited to a maximum of 2 participants ($16).